Are you looking for Energy Performance Certificate….

Throughout the UK Energy Performance Certificates are produced using standard methods and energy assumptions which allows buildings to be compared with another fairly. By doing this it allows owners, prospective buyers or tenants to view the projected energy consumption and carbon ratings over a yearly basis, so they can consider the overall energy efficiency and fuel costs as part of their investment or living expenses.

All Energy Performance Certificates are accompanied with a recommendations report which outlines cost-effective measures that can be put in place to improve the overall energy efficiency rating of a given property. A typical recommendation could be to upgrade a building’s heating system, increase insulation levels in a loft space or to upgrade single glazed areas to double glazing.

The Energy Performance Certificate is important as more than 50% of the UK’s energy consumption and carbon emissions are produced by the way that we light, heat and generally use buildings. Relatively small changes such as installing low energy or LED lighting in all outlets of a building can have a profound effect on energy consumption.

  • A (92 PLUS)
  • B (81-91)
  • C (69-80)
  • D (55-68)
  • E (39-54)
  • F (21-38)
  • G (1-20)

When is an Energy performance certificate required?

Your property’s EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent. EPC Certificates became a regulatory requirement in April 2008.  You must get an approved Domestic Energy assessor to produce the EPC.

Residential EPC Certificates in Bristol are a requirement on all domestic properties, that are either being sold, built, or rented, and must be provided to a prospective buyer or tenant free of charge.

Are there any cases whereby my building may be exempt?

The answer is yes! The following situations deem your property exempt.

  • Some listed buildings
  • Building due for demolition resulting in site due for redevelopment
  • Building to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
  • Places of worship
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that have a low energy demand.
  • Stand-alone commercial buildings with a total useful floor space of less than 50m².

What are the penalties for not having an EPC?

As from the 1st April 2018, there will be a requirement for any properties rented out in the private rented sector to normally have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The regulations will come into force for new lets and renewals of tenancies with effect from 1st April 2018 and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating unless there is an applicable exemption. A civil penalty of up to £4,000 will be imposed for breaches.

This guidance summarizes the regulations: Find out more

You do not pay anything until the survey is has been fully carried out and that you are happy with the service. Invoices will be issued at this point.

What is your Energy Performance Certificate process? Energy Performance Certificate

  1. Upon arrival to the property, the energy assessor will introduce themselves, explain the process and carry out a health & safety risk assessment for safety purposes.
  2. The assessor will require access to all of the rooms in the property, including (where applicable) loft hatch, room in the roof, extensions, conservatory, electric and gas metres.
  3. The assessor will draw a sketch plan of the overall floor area of the property. Once this is done they will work through each room taking precise measurements and capturing all relevant data (Property age, construction materials, Wall thicknesses, heating systems & controls, hot water cylinder details, water cylinder insulation, Secondary heating systems (if applicable), Floor construction, glazing type and low energy lighting.

Please note that we respect your home at all times and will ensure that it will be left as it was before we conducted our survey.

Schedule your EPC

We work 24/7 to suit your needs and book appointments to suit your busy schedule. Including evening and weekends appointments.

The Assessment

One of our qualified EPC assessors will visit you at your premises. The survey will take typically between 1-2 hours to complete.


Our team will calculate and produce your energy performance certificate and outline any improvement recommendations.


We will publish your Commercial EPC to the government register within 24-48 hours of leaving your property and send you a copy directly via email.

What We Offer

Focus 360 has 10 years’ experience in offering SAP assessments to a variety of clients based in Bristol and all over the UK.

We offer a consultancy approach to compliance and always have your needs at the forefront of what we do.

We are well versed when dealing with tricky developments and are yet to be beaten by a difficult rating to date.

At Focus 360 Energy we complete both design stage and as-built parts of your SAP Calculations in Bristol and we will email your report within your deadlines.

SAP Calculations for New Builds in Bristol

Many of the projects we take on require an improvement rating of 40% or over which we have always managed to achieve despite sometimes having tight budget restraints set out to us.

For this reason alone, we are confident that you won’t be disappointed in what we have to offer.

We understand that you have deadlines to meet so always offer the same day response. In addition to this, we offer a 48-hour fast track service and same day EPC Certificate as standard, so you won’t be kept waiting.

Energy Performance Certificate

SAP Calculations (Standard Assessment Procedures) are a building regulation requirement and the UK government’s chosen methodology for assessing the energy performance of all new build dwellings, conversions and extensions.

Once SAP Calculations in Bristol have been successfully completed on a dwelling an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is generated. The energy performance certificate is an additional document required for building control sign off and is a legal requirement when selling or renting out a home.

SAP rating is a way of comparing the energy efficiency of different homes and is scored on a rating scale between 1 and 100 (100 representing a dwelling with a zero-energy cost and 0 with a high energy cost). Typically, the higher the SAP rating, the lower the fuel cost and associated carbon dioxide emissions (CO2). From the SAP calculations, we are able to work out an energy cost for a given property. This is formed by assessing the construction of the home, its heating system, internal lighting and any renewable technologies installed.

SBEM Calculations (Simplified Building Energy Model) is a tool that is used to analyse the compliance of your new non-domestic building with Part L of the building regulations (England and Wales) and equivalent regulations in Scotland, Northern Ireland.

The SBEM calculations process is put together by looking at the proposed buildings use of materials, heating system, cooling, hot water, ventilation and lighting services. In addition to this the calculation also looks at what renewable energy sources have been used, such as solar photovoltaic, solar thermal, ground/air-source heating.

Once this data is modelled in our government approved software, we can provide an accurate understanding of what the buildings energy performance and carbon emissions will be. This result is measured against a notional building of the same dimensions hopefully allowing good and innovative design to prevail. By collectively measuring the fabric, services, lighting, renewable and low carbon technologies to a notional building we can allow for some compensation between the different elements.

Who needs SBEM Calculations?

SBEM Calculations are a mandatory requirement for any heated new build commercial property which exceeds 50m2 in size. In addition to new build commercial buildings some renovation and extension projects will require an SBEM calculation as well.

Design Stage:
Building control will require a design stage SBEM calculation to be submitted at the same time as your building regulation application. Building control will not let the building commence without receiving both documents.

As-built stage:
Building control will require both the design stage SBEM Calculation and Commercial EPC once the building has been constructed. Building control will unlikely sign the building off without both documents

Air testing (Also known as Air Permeability, air leakage test and pressure test) is a measure of showing how good your building is at keeping the head in and the cold out.


All new developments in the UK are required to have an air test carried as part Approved Document Part L (England and Wales) and section 6 of the technical handbook (Scotland).

The Air test will always be carried out once the building has been finished and before the occupier moves in.

In essence, the lower the air leakage, the better the building is at keeping out the cold and the lower the energy bill will be. However, having a 100% air-tight building is not necessary a good thing as problems may occur such as mould and condensation. Striking a balance in the result is key.

You can choose not to test all plots on a larger site, but it’s worth noting that the SAP rating will be penalised on those not tested. This is commonly known as confidence factor.

Why choose us?

  • Professional and reliable
  • Flexible appointments to suit you
  • Friendly practical advice
  • 10 years experience in the industry
  • Same day turnaround
  • Affordable pricing

What we offer

Covering Bristol and the surrounding areas, Focus 360 Energy has 10 years’ experience offering energy performance certificates (EPC’s) in Bristol and throughout the south-west. Energy Performance Certificate

We offer both residential and commercial EPC certificates to a vast number of clients including estate agents, solicitors, property landlords, facility managers and the general public.